SectionsDelaware Township Biography
About Delaware Township
Delightfully rural Delaware Township measures just over 37 square miles in western Hunterdon County. Rolling fields, farmland and forests characterize the bucolic scenery in this peaceful part of the state which shares a border with the Delaware River. Neighboring towns include Lambertville, Raritan Township, East and West Amwell, Franklin Township and Kingwood Township. Incorporated in 1838, Delaware’s earliest settlers actually came to farm the land in the 1700s. Today, a population of about 4,500 residents are scatted throughout long-established communities named Sergeantsville, Croton, Locktown, Sand Brook, Raven Rock and Rosemont.
In addition to the Delaware River, the township’s southern borders include the Delaware and Raritan Canal. New Jersey’s last covered bridge is also located in Delaware Township; the circa 1872 landmark crosses over the Wickecheoke Creek, connecting Rosemont and Sergeantsville.