SectionsLebanon Township Biography
About Lebanon Township
Tucked into the northernmost corner of Hunterdon County, Lebanon Township’s longstanding rural heritage can be witnessed on a drive through its 32-square mile borders. Bucolic landscapes include an abundance of wide open spaces, conservation land, parks and working farms. The township’s terrain is characterized by acres of forests, rivers, streams, gorges and mountain ranges.
With approximately 6,500 residents, the township borders both Warren and Morris Counties, offering access to a network of local and interstate highways. Surrounding towns include Washington Township, Long Valley, Clinton, Readington, Califon and Annandale.
The first record of Lebanon Township appears in 1731, and it was incorporated as one of New Jersey’s first 104 townships in 1798. Back in the 1700s and 1800s, small hamlets had names like Woodglen, Anthony, Red Mill and Bunnvale. Bunnvale was named for a prominent area land holder named Bunn, and Bunnvale Road is named in his honor. Hoffman’s Crossing Road traversing the South Branch of the Raritan River was named for the local family who ran a basket factory. Today, the Woodglen General Store is a reminder of a simpler time. A sign outside the store was placed by the Hunterdon County Cultural Heritage Commission, recognizing it as one of the few remaining general stores from the mid-1800s.